Wednesday, January 27, 2010

... COT3?

Progress has been slow, as I said it would in the previous post. Proofreading is proceeding. I found a layperson (essentially a stranger who knows nothing of Thief) to read COT and write up impressions. So far they claim that they have read the whole thing, liked it, but are dragging their feet about actually writing down any impressions.

I was still not content with the title "Circle of Tales" since I don't like double words in titles, and I intended to name one of the stories within it "The First Circle." The title Compendium of Thieves sprung to mind, which prompted me to find the exact definition of a word which I would have probably taken for granted.

com⋅pen⋅di⋅um 
–noun, plural -di⋅ums, -di⋅a
1. a brief treatment or account of a subject, esp. an extensive subject; concise treatise: a compendium of medicine.
2. a summary, epitome, or abridgment.
3. a full list or inventory: a compendium of their complaints.

So, I think it fits. But if I am going to use that format of a title, then I'll pretty much have to consider it COT2 and Contravention of Thieves to be COT3! It's a meaningless distinction in the end, since no books will have any form of "COTn" anywhere on them.

No comments: